The branch committee today (Saturday, 29 November 2008) at length discussed the decline of the branch membership from 83 to 64 last year. It was more disturbing when Richard Ford (right), National Executive Member and editor of Familia, gave a report back of the NEC meeting in Cape Town on 22 November 2008 indicating that the national membership had risen.
Questions now asked are:
- How can we attract more members?
- How can we ensure that annual membership is renewed?
- Are we providing our members with value for money in terms of monthly meetings/support?
If each new member could be assigned to a "mentor" in order to:
- retain contact,
- encourage them to attend meetings and
- try to assist in genealogical matters,
Details would have to be worked out and members need to be carefully allocated to the right mentor. A structured system where experienced members take a maximum of five members under their wings is forseen. Such allocation will be based on common interests or whatever criteria will be considered.
Methods of assistance need to be worked out.
I look forward to comments and suggestions from members at your earliest convenience. E-mail me at email@example.com.
- I am happy to announce that Gerard Marloth has agreed to join our committee next year as membership secretary.
- Furthermore, Penny Evens (left) has agreed to join the committee to be a spokesman for beginners and to keep the committee focused on what members need.